Rusinga Education Centre is a mixed day school. It consists of Early Childhood Development Education (ECDE) and Primary sections. The school was founded in the year 2016 by a local Christian. The vision, interest and commitment of the founder was a school providing high quality education based on a firm Christian foundation.
The name Rusinga was derived from Rusinga Island in Lake Victoria where the founder hails from. The founder decided to adopt the name “Rusinga” to reflect its local identity, uniqueness and legacy of Christian service.
Being in a locality worst hit by AIDS and poverty, the school hosts a largest percentage of students who are orphans and those from poor families. The school mainly relies on the proprietor`s capital base including undefined supporters and well-wishers.
Location of the School
The school is located along Kiumba Beach road off Rusinga ring road at Ligigi junction adjacent to Wanyama Mixed Day Secondary School. It is situated in Rusinga Island (one of the Islands in the largest fresh water lake in Africa – Lake Victoria).
Country – Kenya
County – Homa bay
Sub-County – Suba North (Mbita)
Division – Mbita
Location – Rusinga West
Sub-Location – Wanyama
HEAD OF THE SCHOOL
The school is headed by Mr. Cornel Orato who is a trained, qualified P1 Certificate holder.
Head Teacher`s Profile: Mr. Cornel Orato
• P1 Certificate – Mosoriot TTC (2012 – 2014).
• IT Certificate – Graphic Designers College (2006)
Teaching and Administrative Experience
• Head Teacher at Rusinga Education Centre – from 2017 to date.
• Board member at Wanyama Mixed Day Secondary School – from 2019 to date.
• Teacher at Hill school Mbita – from 2016 to 2017.
• Supervisor at Alisia Bakery – from 2015 to 2016.
• Supervisor/Store man & paper packaging at Kenya stationers (Transpaper Kenya) – from 2011 to 2012.
• Security Officer at Radar Security LTD – from 2010 to 2011.
“To fear God is wisdom”
Rusinga Education Centre is a community of learners, parents, teachers, local community and staff all working together to promote teaching and learning that encourages all members to grow in Godly wisdom.
The school provides broad pastoral foundations applied throughout the school in ways relevant to young people of different ages. Pastoral program is important in our procedures for:
• Home-school liaison.
• Learner behavior guidelines.
• Learner posts of responsibilities.
• Uniform guidelines.
• Learner guidance and counselling programs.
• Staff training and development.
• Assemblies and school events.
• Devotions, prayer weeks and mentorship programs.
• Curriculum and co-curricular programs are integrated with pastoral framework to provide broad Christian values approach to education and real life in general.
PARENT – TEACHER CONSULTATION
Parent – Teacher Consultation
These are forums for parents to meet with their children`s teachers together with their children to discuss progress of the individual learners. Parents are encouraged to attend these meetings and students encouraged to attend the sessions and take ownership in their progress.
The school runs on a five-day week starting on Monday to Friday. The day starts at 8.00.am and ends at 4.30.pm. with Co-Curricular Activities starting from 3.10.pm. – 4.30.am every day.